10 Simple Ways to Celebrate National Family Wellness Month
May is National Family Wellness Month and we have some easy tips to help you jumpstart your family’s health. Family Wellness Month is not just about dieting; it’s about infusing healthy lifestyles and habits into your family’s everyday life. With the weather getting nicer, May is the perfect time to spend more time being active outside or choosing fresh vegetables from the local farmer’s market.
It doesn’t take much to make some small changes. If you keep them easy, you’ll be more likely to keep them up for the long run. Here are some simple ideas to help you jumpstart your family’s overall wellness.
1. Cut out one sugary drink per day and replace it with water. Replace your child's lunchtime juice box or your dinnertime soda with water.
2. Sit in front of the TV after dinner; just don't turn it on. Instead, play a board game the whole family can enjoy. A family game night not only allows you to spend time together, but it lets the kids use their problem-solving skills, working out those mental agility muscles.
3. Find a replacement for pasta cravings. Pasta is filled with carbohydrates, and though they're fine once in a while, the weekly pasta meal can add pounds to your body quickly. Instead, try making spaghetti squash or swap out traditional wheat pasta with Quinoa pasta. We bet no one would even be able to tell the difference.
4. Don't reward your children, or yourself, with sweets. Find another way to provide positive reinforcement. Sweets should be a luxury, not a daily occurrence.
5. Find a healthy slow-cooker recipe and spend the spare time taking a pre-dinner walk with the family around the neighborhood.
6. Don't go to the gym by yourself on Saturday mornings. Instead, find a local hiking trail and get outside with the family. If you have younger children, bring a list of things to find on the hike (an acorn, a squirrel, a caterpillar, etc.) Who doesn't like a quasi-treasure hunt?
7. Get out and garden. Make a fun outing to the nursery with your family and let each person pick an item to plant. Let the kids help when you get home. Most kids love digging in the garden and will feel proud of their handiwork.
8. Take a family outing to the farmer’s market. Pick some fresh veggies to make a delicious meal later. Check out our online recipes. Look for some crisp lettuce, green onion and cilantro to make some delicious turkey lettuce wraps.
9. Volunteer together. Take a little time to clean up your favorite park or beach before spending time playing. Find a local food pantry or soup kitchen that you can donate to or volunteer at. Helping out draws family members closer to the community and teaches life skill and critical thinking.
10. Get out and play. Ride bikes together, go for long walk with your dog or just run around in front of the house chasing each other. It doesn’t have to be an organized event; just go outside and move around with your family!
We hope you take this opportunity to start some new wellness habits for your family that will last a long time. If you have any questions or would like more help with reaching your health goals, don’t hesitate to call!
Rosalie Schiappacasse-Janette, MS, MSW
Healthcare Management Professional, Nutritionist and Psychotherapist
Office Phone: 203-431-3438
Nutritional & Behavioral Care, LLC
158 Danbury Road
Ridgefield, CT 06877
158 Danbury Rd.
Ridgefield, CT 06877
Call Us: 203-431-3438